Among Latvian think tanks, the LIIA is the oldest and one of the most well-known and internationally recognized institutions, especially as the leading think tank that specializes in international affairs. In the LIIA's efforts to provide expertise from a Latvian perspective, the Institute and its fellows have participated in and coordinated various international research projects. The Institute has recently been focusing on such research themes as
- Latvian foreign policy,
- Transatlantic relations,
- European Union policies, including its neighborhood policy and Eastern Partnership, and
- multilateral and bilateral relations with Russia.
The LIIA was founded and initially funded by several grants from the Swedish government to support research on Baltic security, and has cooperated with the Swedish Institute of International Affairs (www.ui.se) in skills transfer programmes for a number of years. The LIIA is currently financed by individual projects.
Similarly, the LIIA has been active in cooperation with its counterparts in Europe and worldwide within various international scientific frameworks. At the moment, the Institute is a full member of the following research networks:
- The Transeuropean Policy Studies Association (TEPSA) - www.tepsa.be
- The EU Non-Proliferation Consortium - www.nonproliferation.eu/
- EU Consent - www.eu-consent.net
- Euro-Mediterranian Study Commission (EuroMesCo) - www.euromesco.net
- European Policy Institutes Network on the Future of Europe Debate (EPIN) - www.epin.org
Latvian Institute of International Affairs
21 Pils street
Republic of Latvia