Second workshop on mapping of force postures and military exercises starts today in Vienna within the framework of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
German new Great Coalition Treaty will intensify the Structured Dialogue of the OSCE and strengthen Conventional A… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
On the phenomenon of Hybrid War and ways of playing it in a way to avoid catastrophic collision. A reality Russia a… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
hard-hitting Stephen Blank argues that there can be no arms control agreements with Putin's Russia until, well, it… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Latest Information on Conventional Arms Control and Confidence- and Security-Building Measures in Europe
This page provides a broader audience of security experts and anyone interested with regular information of Conventional Arms Control (CAC) and Confidence and Security Building Measures (CSBMs).
The information is provided by the Coordinators of Arms Control and CSBMs of the OSCE-Network of Think Tanks and Academic Institutions:
We want to inform about news, planned events, publications and documents in these fields of arms control. This page wants to enlarge and deepen the knowledge on CAC and on CSBMs as well as to provide the opportunity for further political and academic discussions in order to promote Conventional Arms Control and CSBMs in Europe and beyond.
Latest News can be found under https://twitter.com/LatestNewsonCAC.
All users are very kindly invited to contribute to the information provided here: Please inform the Coordinators Iztok Prezelj and Hans-Joachim Schmidt about news, upcoming events, publications and documents in the fields of CAC and CSBMs in and for Europe.
News and Events
News & Events
- 13-15 June 2018: International Conference: In Times of Eroding Cooperative Security - How to save Conventional Arms Control in Europe. Organizers: FES Regional Office for Cooperation and Peace in Europe and Protestant Academy Loccum. The conference was conducted under chatham house rule. Most papers will eventually be published in September either as a volume of the Loccumer Protokolle or in a FES format.
- 3-4 May 2018: Second workshop on 'Mapping' in Vienna.
- 25 April 2018: 8th meeting of the like-minded Group of States in Berlin: The Group was enlarged further to 22 States by the participation of Greece. Discussions were conducted in a constructive way on goal and purpose of a possible future conventional arms control regime.
- 16 April 2018 Vienna: Fifth meeting of the Structured Dialogue was conducted in a fair and constructive manner. Risk reduction was the major topic, combating international terrorism was discussed too.
- 19 January 2018, 7th meeting of the like-minded Group of States in Berlin: Substantial discussion on parameters (goals, weapon categories, application area, transparency and verification) of a future arms control regime in Europe. Ireland was invited into the group as 21st state.
- 18 January 2018: After necessary consultations, the Permanent Council appointed Belgium OSCE Ambassador, Paul Huynen, as the new chairman of the 'Structured Dialogue'.
- 7-8 December 2017, 24th OSCE Ministerial Council Vienna: Ambassador Eberhard Pohl presented his report. Unfortunately, the report is confidential and will be not published.
- 8 December 2017 Vienna: Side event by the Austrian Chairmanship on the results of its CSBM workshops in 2017: A compendium on promoting military stability and security was presented but not published.
- 8-10 November 2017 Vienna: Kick-off workshop on 'Mapping' (trends of military postures and military exercises) within the format of the OSCE Structured Dialogue on expert level from capitals: The workshop discussed military capabilities, principles, scope, application area, time frame and sources of data. Further progress will depend on the activities of the new OSCE Chairmanship (Italy).
- 1 November 2017 Helsinki-Moscow: Telephone line opened between Finnish and Russian defence administrations for disruptions and emergency situations. See also: TASS, Russian, Finnish military establish direct exchange line to prevent incidents.
- 19-20 October 2017 Vienna: Third Break-out Workshop on CSBM (Vienna Document 2011) under Austrian Chairmanship.The Agenda includes military to military dialogue, enhanced transparency with regard to military activities, and incident prevention and response mechanism.
- 10 October 2017 Vienna: Fourth meeting of the OSCE Structured Dialogue. It focused on military to military contacts, a better use of OSCE instruments and trends of military postures and military exercises.
- 29 September 2017 Berlin: Sixth meeting of the like-minded Group of States supporting a re-launch of CAC in Europe. The Group was further enlarged by the invitation of Hungary, Latvia, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. It consists of 20 states now. (meeting was re-sceduled from 8 to 29 September because diplomatic activities were to dense at the former date).
- 6-7 September Berlin: Track one and a half conference “Making Conventional Arms Control Fit for the 21st Century”. Further details and topics are to be decided.
- 5 September 2017 Vienna: Third meeting of the OSCE Structured Dialogue. It focused on appropriate instruments in dealing with the growing number of compliance issues and the erosion of the rule-based security order in Europe.
- 11 July 2017 Vienna: Informal Meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council, most likely including a segment on the Structured Dialogue.
- 5 July 2017 Vienna: Joint meeting of the Forum for Security Cooperation and the Permanent Council to assess Structured Dialogue.
- 28 June 2017 Vienna: Special Session on Structured Dialogue during the OSCE Annual Security Review Conference (ASRC 2017).
- Job opportunity: an open position for a CSBM officer at OSCE. Check UNjobs.org.
- 12-13 June 2017 Vienna: Second Break-out Workshop on CSBMs (Vienna Document 2011) under Austrian Chairmanship. The Agenda covered reflection of force postures and certain military activities, relevance of adapting the scope of forces and its impact on information and verification, and strengthening risk reduction mechanisms.
- 6 June 2017 Vienna: Second meeting of the OSCE Structured Dialogue. The meeting will focus on Military Force Postures in the OSCE area.
- 23-26 May 2017 Astana: Training seminar for military officers on CSBM.
- 9 May 2017 Berlin: Fifth meeting of the like minded Group of States for supporting a re-launch of CAC in Europe (no statement). The group will invite other interested states and want to go ahead with its discussions.
- 4-5 May 2017 Vienna: Military Doctrine Seminar by the Chairman in Office (as a part of the Structured Dialogue).
- 18 April 2017 Moscow: Midweek Brainstorming Sessions on the prospects of conventional arms control in Europe, PIR Center (see statement below).
- 7 April 2017 Vienna: First meeting of the Informal Working Group (IWG) Structured Dialogue on Converging and Diverging Threat Perceptions in the OSCE area.
- 17 March 2017 Vienna: Kick-off event for the Informal Structured Dialogue at ambassadorial level. Dialogue will be under German chairmanship.
- 1-3 March 2017 Vienna: Break-out Workshop on implementation deficits of the Vienna Document 2011 (two further Break-out Workshops are in discussion for the second half of the year, but exact dates and topics have not been decided yet).
- 28 February/1March 2017 Vienna: Annual Implementation Assessment Meeting (AIAM),
Yearly implementation review of the Vienna Document 2011.
- 1 February 2017 Vienna: Special Meeting Forum for Security Cooperation (FSC) on the Modernization of the Vienna Document on two topics: Risk Reduction and Efficiency (see document below).
- 27 January 2017 Berlin: Fourth meeting of the like-minded Group of States for CAC in Europe (no statement).
- 23-25 January 2017 Wilton Park: Conference: Status-neutral cooperative security measures in the European context (WP1523).
- 8-9 December 2016 Hamburg: OSCE Ministerial Council (Decision on ‘a structured dialogue on the current and future challenges and risks to security in the OSCE area to foster a greater understanding on these issues that could serve as a common solid basis for a way forward’, see document below).
- 25 November 2016 Berlin: Third meeting of the like-minded group of conventional arms control in Europe to discuss its possible input into the OSCE Ministerial Meeting in Hamburg on 8-9 December (see statement below).
- 4 October 2016, Vienna: Second meeting of the like-minded Group of States for CAC in Europe (enlarged to 16 states, no statement).
- 3 October 2016 Vienna: OSCE Security Days (see documents below)
- 16 September 2016 Berlin: First Meeting of the like-minded Group of States of CAC in Europe (9 states, no statement).
- 1 September 2016 Potsdam: Informal Meeting of the OSCE Ministerial Council.
- 26 August 2016: Publication of German Foreign Minister Steinmeier’s Call for a re-launch of arms control in Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (see document below).
Publications and Documents
- Kühn, Ulrich, Structuring Security, Dialogue and Arms Control in the OSCE Area, Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, 20 June 2018
- Schmidt, Hans-Joachim, Strukturprobleme eines Neustarts der konventionellen Rüstungskontrolle in Europa, HSFK-Report 7/2017, Frankfurt/M 23 April 2018
- Kühn, Ulrich, Preventing Escalation in the Baltics, A NATO Playbock, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Washington D.C. 28 March 2018
- Trenin, Dmitri, Avoiding U.S.-Russia Military Escalation During the Hybrid War, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Moscow 25 January 2018
- Richter, Wolfgang, Die OSZE zwischen Konfrontation und 'Strukturiertem Dialog', SWP-Aktuell 5, Berlin 23 January 2018
- Blanc, Stephan, Mission Impossible: Pursuing arms control with Putin’s Russia, Euroatlantic Security Policy Brief (ELN) Brussels 19 January 2018
- Greminger, Thomas, It Is Time to Revitalize Political-Military Dialogue in the OSCE, Commentary, European Leadership Network (ELN), Brussels 6 December 2017
- Koivula, Tommi, Conventional Arms Control in Europe and its current Challenge, in: Koivula, Tommi, Simonen, Katariina (Ed.), Arms Control in Europe: Regimes, Trends and Threats, National Defense University Helsinki 2017, Series 1: Research Publication No. 16, pp. 113-132
- Forum for Security Cooperation, Role of Agreement on Sub-Regional Arms Control in building confidence in Western Balkans focus of Forum for Security Co-operation’s meeting, Vienna 27 October 2017
- Kulesa, Lukasz, Post Conference Report: Making Conventional Arms control Fit for the 21st Century, European Leadership Network (ELN) Brussels 29 September 2017
- Kühn, Ulrich, With Zapad Over, Is It Time for Conventional Arms Control in Europe?, War on the Rocks, 27 September 2017
- Making conventional arms control fit for the 21st century, European Leadership Network (ELN), Brussels 8 September 2017
- Major, Claudia, Mölling Christian, How Germany should change its approach to arms control, Carnegie Europe Brussels 7 September 2017
- Richter, Wolfgang, Return to Security Cooperation in Europe: The Stabilizing Role of Conventional Arms Control, Deep Cuts Working Paper 11, 5 September 2017
- Dialogue and compromise necessary for addressing security challenges, says OSCE Chairperson-in-Office at 2017 OSCE Annual Security Review Conference, Vienna 27 June 2017
- Statement of Stephen G. Rademaker, Principal, The Podesta Group, “The Growing Russian Military Threat in Europe: Assessing and Addressing the Challenge”, Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, 17 May 2017
- EU Statement on modernisation of politico-military commitments with the aim to restore trust and confidence in the OSCE area, 10 May 2017
- Austria’s OSCE Chairmanship holds discussion on military doctrines with focus on different threat perceptions, Vienna 4 May 2017
- EU statement on the need to restore trust in Europe, 3 May 2017
- U.S. Department of State, 2017 Report on Adherence to and Compliance With Arms Control, Nonproliferation, and Disarmament Agreements and Commitments, 25 April 2017
- PIR-Center, Prospects of conventional arms control in Europe, Moscow 18 April 2017
- OSCE to explore common ground on current and future security challenges, Vienna 7 April 2017
- Malygina, Anastasia, Re-launching US-Russia arms control dialogue, What role for Europe? ELN 30 March 2017
- Kulesa, Lukasz, Bringing Europe back into the arms control game, ELN 20 March 2017
- Zannier Lamberto, Progress on modernizing the Vienna Document vital to making the agreement effective in current challenging security, Vienna 1 February 2017 environment
- RACVIAC report on the Vienna Document Compliance and Verification Course in Hungary, 5-10 March 2017
- Kapanadze, Sergi / Kühn, Ulrich / Richter, Wolfgang / Wolfgang Zellner, Status-Neutral Security, Confidence-Building and Arms Control Measures in the Georgian Context, Hamburg January 2017
- Reif, Kingston, Europeans Seek Conventional Arms Talks, in: Arms Control Today January/February 2017
- U.S. Department of State, Compliance with the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe, Condition (5) (C) Report, January 2017
- Starchak, Maxim, Arms control in Russia – West relations:learning from the experience of the first Cold War, Brussels, 21 December 2016
- Ischinger, Wolfgang, Monthly Mind 2016: A call to arms control, Munich 19 December 2016
- From Lisbon to Hamburg: Declaration on the Twentieth Anniversary of the OSCE Framework for Arms Control, Hamburg 9 December 2016 (with interpretive Statements from the U.S. and Russia)
- Richter Wolfgang, Neubelebung der konventionellen Rüstungskontrolle in Europa, SWP Aktuell No 74, November 2016
- Ministerial declaration by the foreign ministers of the like-minded group supporting a relaunch of conventional arms control in Europe, Berlin, 25 November 2016
- How can the OSCE help to reduce the risk of hazardous military incidents? 2 November 2016.
- Kulesa, Łukasz/Frear, Thomas/Raynova, Denitsa, Managing Hazardous Incidents in the Euro-Atlantic Area: A New Plan of Action, ELN Policy Brief, November 2016
- At high-level OSCE Security Days event in Vienna diplomats and experts discuss ways to increase military predictability and new conventional arms control initiative, Vienna, 7 October 2016
- Turner, Bruce I, Revitalizing Military Confidence-Building, Risk Reduction, and Arms Control in Europe, Vienna 3 October 2016
- Informal OSCE Ministerial discussions focused on organization's future agenda, Potsdam, 1 September 2016
- Steinmeier, Frank Walter, More security for everyone in Europe: A call for a re-launch of arms control, 26 August 2016